Poverty is always a concern – not only abroad as a global concern, but here in the United States as well. �Poverty is never a well liked subject matter – even in every community, but as the Presidential campaign continues. �Poverty is something that MUST be discussed. �While it may never go away 100%, it is something that we must as a national community (and global community) we must, at the very least, address and work on resolving.�
What are the candidates viewpoints on poverty? �How are they going to address it? �What initiatives are they going to resolve to do about it? and, will they actually follow through?
President Obama Goes on Record on Child Poverty
Irwin Redlener, MD, Co-founder and President
With 22% of children in America living in poverty, millions regularly go hungry and struggle for access to medical care and early education programs.� And these adversities may interfere with optimal brain growth in early childhood and learning impediments during school years. That’s why I have been helping organize an effort involving six of the nation’s leading child advocates to give voice to this critical issue.
As part of this effort, we wrote President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney last month to ask what they intended to do from the White House – short-term and long-term – to address the extraordinary challenges of kids stuck in multiple adversities of persistent poverty.
While the Romney campaign has informed us that they would not respond in writing to our request, we recently received a reply from the Obama campaign delineating what the president has done and will continue to do in terms of the safety net programs and new initiatives.
via President Obama Goes on Record on Child Poverty | Children’s Health Fund. �#TalkPoverty
- Mitt Romney: No comment on child poverty, refuses to answer questions (sott.net)
- Children’s Health Fund demands answers on child poverty (tv.msnbc.com)
- Children’s Defense Fund (CDF) : Health Care Coverage for All of America’s Children, Ending Child Poverty, Child Advocacy Programs (childrensdefense.org)
- Rally calls for end to NZ’s child poverty (nzherald.co.nz)
- Paul Simon Auctions Off Personal Guitar Lesson For Charity (contactmusic.com)
- Today’s News: Children in the North East trapped in grip of poverty (journallive.co.uk)
- Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder, Sting, Tina Fey To Appear At Children’s Health Fund Celebration (wcbsfm.cbslocal.com)
- Traditional Families Key to Reducing Child Poverty (thenewamerican.com)
- Child poverty in the UK: mapped (telegraph.co.uk)
- Child poverty costs NZ $10b a year – expert (nzherald.co.nz)